5 Devotional Question To Help You Reflect on Sunday’s Sermon
- If you had to do one God in the Movies sermon, which movie would you pick and why?
- What are some of the best dreams you’ve had lately? Ever? What are some of the worse? Why do you suppose God gave us the capacity to dream? Do you agree with the notion that dreams express our deepest longings and desires?
- Read Matthew 5:1-12. In describing the nature of the Kingdom (i.e. where the meek will inherit the earth), in what sense is Jesus sharing God’s dream for this world? Why is this vision so radical and revelotionary? What will happen to those who resist God’s dream?
- Yesterday I said, “On the other hand, you have the BFG. He is a rescuer, a guardian, a savior of sorts. But, he’s not just a vague, idealized savior. He very much identifies with us. He, too, is lonely, and persecuted for his goodness. He suffers.… Indeed, there are all kinds of moments in the story in which the BFG is exactly what we need God to be in our lives. He catches us when we fall. He tells us to “be brave” in difficult circumstances. He’s hidden, but always present. He strong, but still approachable and kind.” Which of these qualities do you most relate to and why? Can you think of any others?
- In the story we meet some rather nasty giants. They are the personification of evil. Which giant or giants are you facing in your life right now? Be specific. Jesus said, “In this world, you will have trouble. But, take heart, I have overcome the world.” How can these words comfort you?