- Do you celebrate Lent? Have you ever considered/done a Lenten fast (i.e. giving something up for the 40 days before Easter in order to identify with Jesus’ suffering)? If so, what did you give up? If not, what WOULD you give up?
- On Sunday, I started the message by asking, “Have you ever walked a road of dread?” (i.e. significant health issues, job lost, death of a love one, etc.) Share your story. How did what you experienced shape you spiritually? Does knowing that Jesus walked the ultimate road of dread help you?
- Think about the statement, “All real life changing love is substitutionary sacrifice”. Do you agree? Beyond parenting or forgiveness, can you think of a real life example of this statement? How does this truth help you make sense of the cross of Christ?
- Read Mark 10: 32-45 again. Why do you suppose it was so hard for Jesus to make his disciples understand that he HAD to suffer in Jerusalem? How does Jesus’ statement in verse 39 regarding baptism help you understand the importance of Christian baptism?
- Assignment: sometime during the upcoming week, spend some time meditating on the following Lenten prayer by Dietrich Bonhoeffer entitled, “I Cannot Do This Alone”.
Help me to pray
And to concentrate my thoughts on you;
I cannot do this alone.
In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help;
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
I do not understand your ways,
But you know the way for me….
Restore me to liberty,
And enable me to live now
That I may answer before you and before men.
Lord whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.